Letting a child drink from a bottle of juice or milk for long periods of time will cause tooth decay. Also, children who drink from a sippy cup or bottle while lying on their back get more ear infections, says Penn Medicine.
The good news is that you can guard against pain and infection for your child.
- Never put your baby to bed with a bottle of milk or juice.
- If a bottle is their pacifier, add only water to the bottle.
- Only give your baby a bottle during meals.
- Teach your child to drink from a cup as soon as possible (no older than 12 months).
- Keep your baby’s mouth clean by using gauze or a baby toothbrush after feedings.
- Use water and a soft children’s toothbrush for daily cleaning once your child has teeth.
The newsletter designed for anyone who wants to improve oral health for themselves, their families, customers or communities.