Tobacco increases your risk for many diseases, such as oral cancer. Chewing tobacco and any kind of smoking (cigarettes, cigars, or pipes) can cause cancers of the lip, tongue, cheeks, mouth, sinuses, and throat.
Using tobacco in any way can cause:
- Bone loss
- Bad breath
- Mouth sores
- Hairy tongue
- Stained teeth
- Shrinking gums
- Decreased taste and smell
Free Programs to Quit Tobacco
- There are many free programs to help you quit tobacco on your terms. Here are a few that are available nationwide:
- The 1-800-QUIT-NOW Quit Line offers free confidential coaching
- Or go online for CDC.gov/quit and Smokefree.gov
- Try the SmokefreeTXT texting program
- Or use the free quitSTART app
State and local governments also offer free help, including medicine that makes quitting easier. You can do this!
The newsletter designed for anyone who wants to improve oral health for themselves, their families, customers or communities.